6 Lb Pickhead Axe w/ 36" Handle handle
6.0# Pickhead fireman's Axe with a 36" _ curved hickory handle. Perfect for the Traditional pickhead style. Cutting bit on one end and a pick designed to penetrate on the other. Used in all manner of municipal fire fighting applications, chopping, battering, forcible entry, door stop, ect. Cutting edge is approximately 5" overall length.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Body fully polished, hand sharpened tapered cutting edge and pick.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least 1/2 inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tools Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Body coated with fire engine red enamel and the cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36" American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" _ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly. AOL is nominal.
- This product meets or exceeds ASME B107.400-2008.