3.5 lbs. Jersey pattern single bit axe with a 32 in. curved handle. Forged in Bevels provide an air pocket to prevent sticking. Sometimes referred to as a “Baltimore Jersey” pattern, this shape features lugs or ears which increase the surface contact area with the handle. The geographic origins are self explanatory. The earlier Kentucky and North Carolina patterns were somewhat similar. A full sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 5” in. overall length and the poll is square.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the as forged finish.
- 32 in. curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4 in. of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Prop 65 Warning: This product contains Nickel (metallic), a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.